We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- James 1:17-27Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost Every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. In fulfillment of his own purpose he gave us birth by the word of truth, so that we would become a […]
- Exodus 34:8-28And Moses quickly bowed his head toward the earth, and worshiped. He said, "If now I have found favor in your sight, O LORD, I pray, let the LORD go with us. Although this is a stiff-necked people, pardon our iniquity and our sin, and take us for your inheritance."He said: I hereby make a […]
- Psalm 15O LORD, who may abide in your tent? Who may dwell on your holy hill? Those who walk blamelessly, and do what is right, and speak the truth from their heart; who do not slander with their tongue, and do no evil to their friends, nor take up a reproach against their neighbors; in whose […]
- ELCA members observe 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina August 28, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – On Aug. 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast of the United States, killing 1,833 people and displacing hundreds of thousands in the Gulf region. In response to the powerful storm, members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) contributed more than $27 million to Lutheran Disaster Response to […]
- ELCA to join AME Church Sept. 6 for prayer, commitment to end racism August 25, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In response to a statement and call to action from the African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME), the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has pledged the 3.8 million-member ELCA to participate Sept. 6 in "Confession, Repentance and Commitment to […]
- ELCA bishop poses ethical questions to Congress regarding Iran plan August 7, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In an Aug. 5 letter to U.S. Congress, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), urged for "careful deliberation and consideration" in response to the "Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action," which "seeks to 'ensure that Iran's nuclear program will […]
- ELCA chaplains convene for education and training August 6, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Traveling from as far away as Hawaii and Germany, 70 chaplains from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) convened in Chicago for the annual Chaplain Education and Training Event July 26-30. The chaplains, some of whom have recently returned from deployments in Afghanistan, Colombia and Djibouti, serve in the U.S. […]
- ELCA, Moravian Church observe 15th anniversary of full communion agreement July 31, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – This year marks the 15th anniversary of the full communion agreement between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Moravian Church in America. The agreement was adopted by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in 1999 and subsequently by the Northern and Southern provinces of the Moravian Church in America the […]
- The evangelical idolatry of Donald Trump August 27, 2015Donald Trump is nothing if not polarizing. You can’t just like or dislike the
- The (somewhat) sacred outdoors August 27, 2015My family lives surrounded by an embarrassment of scenic riches. In less than six hours,
- The Voting Rights Act: have we overcome? August 25, 2015“But even if we pass this bill the battle will not be over… It is the effort
- Is Dismaland as distorted as Disneyland? August 24, 2015“Wish.” “Dream.” “Believe.” These words defined our
- What’s really been exposed in the Ashley Madison hack August 24, 2015Men and women cheating on their spouses is nothing new. Yet with the hack of