We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Jeremiah 7:27-34So you shall speak all these words to them, but they will not listen to you. You shall call to them, but they will not answer you. You shall say to them: This is the nation that did not obey the voice of the LORD their God, and did not accept discipline; truth has perished; […]
- Psalm 136:1-4, 23-26Thomas, ApostleO give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. O give thanks to the God of gods, for his steadfast love endures forever. O give thanks to the LORD of lords, for his steadfast love endures forever; who alone does great wonders, for his steadfast love endures […]
- Jeremiah 7:1-15The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: Stand in the gate of the LORD's house, and proclaim there this word, and say, Hear the word of the LORD, all you people of Judah, you that enter these gates to worship the LORD. Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel: Amend […]
- ELCA presiding bishop offers letter on Supreme Court marriage ruling June 30, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), offered a pastoral letter June 30 to the 3.8 million members of the denomination in response to the recent Supreme Court ruling that same-sex couples may now exercise the right to marry. The full text of […]
- ELCA Malaria Campaign reaches $14.5 million toward $15 million goal June 30, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In their commitment to help end malaria-related deaths in Africa, members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) have contributed $14.5 million to the ELCA Malaria Campaign, $500,000 shy of the campaign goal of $15 million by the end of 2015. Through the campaign, ELCA members and others have joined […]
- ELCA presiding bishop to attend funeral in Charleston, S.C. June 25, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), will attend the June 26 funeral of the Rev. Clementa C. Pinckney, who was among the nine people killed June 17 at a historic African-American church in Charleston, S.C. Local authorities called […]
- ELCA presiding bishop names “day of repentance and mourning” June 24, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In a public statement following a shooting that claimed the lives of nine people at a historic African-American church in Charleston, S.C., the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), called for a "day of repentance and mourning." Local […]
- ELCA delegation meets with migrant families, others in Mexico June 24, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – For thousands of people, including a growing number of women and children migrating from Central America to the United States, their final stop before crossing the Suchiate River into southern Mexico is the Casa de Migrante (House of Migrants) in Tecún Umán, Guatemala, said Stephen Deal […]
- Restorative discipline: a gracious alternative to zero tolerance June 30, 2015The problem of school violence, truancy and student drug abuse needs to be addressed. No
- A new way to marry June 30, 2015Wedding season is well under way, as can be seen by the many wedding photos being shared
- Obama’s “Amazing Grace” June 29, 2015American political speech has long drawn on the Bible and Christian theology. President
- Joy Williams and the redemption of Venus June 28, 2015The last time Joy Williams released a solo album she was a blond purveyor of effervescent
- The real challenge for the church after SCOTUS’ gay-marriage decision June 26, 2015The United States Supreme Court has declared same-sex marriage as the law of the land.