We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22But we appeal to you, brothers and sisters, to respect those who labor among you, and have charge of you in the Lord and admonish you; esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Be at peace among yourselves. And we urge you, beloved, to admonish the idlers, encourage the fainthearted, help the […]
- Nehemiah 9:6-15Day of Thanksgiving (USA)And Ezra said: "You are the LORD, you alone; you have made heaven, the heaven of heavens, with all their host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them. To all of them you give life, and the host of heaven worships you. You […]
- John 16:25-33I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures, but will tell you plainly of the Father. On that day you will ask in my name. I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on […]
- Albert Pero Jr., first African American professor at a U.S. Lutheran seminary, dies November 25, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Dr. Albert "Pete" Pero Jr., professor emeritus of systematic theology at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) died Nov. 18 in Chicago. He was 79. LSTC is one of eight seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). Pero was the first African American professor at […]
- ELCA to hold its first Grace Gathering November 24, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is hosting its first Grace Gathering, an event to help prepare Lutherans for the observance of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. It will be held in partnership with the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly in New Orleans. Grace Gathering will be held […]
- ELCA, local partners break ground on Lutheran center, clinic in South Sudan November 23, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – As part of ongoing work to bring peace and reconciliation in South Sudan, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and local partners broke ground on a new Lutheran center and clinic in the nation's capital, Juba, earlier this month. The Lutheran center and clinic, which serves as the launching point […]
- ELCA celebrates 45 years of ordaining women November 19, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – On the 45th anniversary of the ordination of Lutheran women in the United States, "I give thanks for my sisters who were the first women pastors," said the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). "I give thanks for all women in ministry. We […]
- ELCA presiding bishop encourages the support of refugee resettlement November 18, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In response to the terrorism around the world and people displaced from their homes and seeking refuge, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), issued a statement Nov. 18 to the 3.7 million member church. The full text of her statement follows:"We are […]
- CSLewisDoodle: pitching a tent in YouTube culture November 24, 2015You’ve seen them before: the illustrated YouTube videos that condense TED Talks or
- Star Wars: Episode II - He Who Lives by the Lightsaber… November 23, 2015This is the fifth installment in our Theology of Star Wars series. Read our other essays
- Adele and Advent: worth the wait November 23, 2015If you’ve been following me on social media the past few weeks, then you know how
- Mockingjay’s Syrian refugees November 19, 2015Although The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 brings an otherwise excellent sci-fi
- La Sagrada Familia and God as unhurried client November 18, 2015Barcelona’s grand cathedral, La Sagrada Familia, is finally nearing completion after