We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Psalm 33:12-22Happy is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage. The LORD looks down from heaven; he sees all humankind. From where he sits enthroned he watches all the inhabitants of the earth — he who fashions the hearts of them all, and observes all their deeds. […]
- 1 Corinthians 15:42b-49What is sown is perishable, what is raised is imperishable. It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power. It is sown a physical body, it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a physical body, there is also a spiritual body. Thus […]
- Ezra 9:5-15At the evening sacrifice I got up from my fasting, with my garments and my mantle torn, and fell on my knees, spread out my hands to the LORD my God, and said,"O my God, I am too ashamed and embarrassed to lift my face to you, my God, for our iniquities have risen higher […]
- Liberians give thanks after country declared Ebola-free May 18, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – Tenacity, determination and faith – that's how the Rev. Andrea L. Walker described members and leaders of the Lutheran Church in Liberia, as well as people of the West Africa country, in response to their efforts to become Ebola-free. Walker is the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's […]
- 79 ELCA young adults called to serve May 8, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Seventy-nine young adults have accepted the call to serve with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Young Adults in Global Mission program, an international mission opportunity for 21- to 29-year-olds. In August these young adults will embark on a year of service with ELCA companion churches and organizations around the […]
- ELCA provides $500,000 for emergency aid in Nepal May 7, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In an effort to continue meeting the needs of earthquake survivors in Nepal, members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) have allocated $500,000 to support ELCA partners there engaged in relief and emergency assistance. The funds were sent through this church's Lutheran Disaster […]
- ELCA members called to pray, stand in solidarity with Baltimore residents April 29, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In an effort to stand in solidarity with residents of Baltimore as the unrest there continues, the Rev. Wolfgang D. Herz-Lane, bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Delaware-Maryland Synod based in Baltimore, is encouraging people of faith across the country to step outside their […]
- ELCA partners begin large-scale emergency response in Nepal April 25, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are responding to an April 25 earthquake that shook Nepal and its capital city, Kathmandu. Sections of the city's historic center lay in rubble, as aftershocks continue to rock the city valley and neighboring countries. News reports […]
- Louis C.K. is not a good person May 21, 2015Louis C.K.’s recent Saturday Night Live monologue drew fire by surmising that child
- Joss Whedon and quitting Twitter May 20, 2015Certain quarters of the Internet were shocked when beloved writer-director Joss Whedon
- A curmudgeonly farewell to David Letterman May 19, 2015After 33 years of entertaining millions and redefining late-night television, David
- Holding onto hope in Mad Max: Fury Road May 18, 2015When things fall apart, as they have in Mad Max: Fury Road, it can be telling to watch how
- Forgiving Don Draper May 18, 2015Was last night's Mad Men finale everything we wanted it to be? The answer says as much