We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- John 15:1-8Fifth Sunday of Easter I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinegrower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me […]
- Amos 9:7-15Are you not like the Ethiopians to me, O people of Israel? says the LORD. Did I not bring Israel up from the land of Egypt, and the Philistines from Caphtor and the Arameans from Kir? The eyes of the Lord GOD are upon the sinful kingdom, and I will destroy […]
- 2 Corinthians 4:1-6Philip and James, ApostlesTherefore, since it is by God's mercy that we are engaged in this ministry, we do not lose heart. We have renounced the shameful things that one hides; we refuse to practice cunning or to falsify God's word; but by the open statement of the truth we commend ourselves to the conscience […]
- ELCA members called to pray, stand in solidarity with Baltimore residents April 29, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In an effort to stand in solidarity with residents of Baltimore as the unrest there continues, the Rev. Wolfgang D. Herz-Lane, bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) Delaware-Maryland Synod based in Baltimore, is encouraging people of faith across the country to step outside their […]
- ELCA partners begin large-scale emergency response in Nepal April 25, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) are responding to an April 25 earthquake that shook Nepal and its capital city, Kathmandu. Sections of the city's historic center lay in rubble, as aftershocks continue to rock the city valley and neighboring countries. News reports […]
- ELCA observes World Malaria Day as it nears $15 million campaign goal April 23, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In observance of World Malaria Day April 25, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) commemorates the global anti-malaria effort and reaffirms the church’s commitment in helping bring an end to malaria-related deaths in Africa. Through the ELCA Malaria Campaign, ELCA members and others have contributed $13.8 million toward the campaign’s […]
- ELCA presiding bishop meets with Christian leaders in China April 22, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In her first visit to China, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), noted the importance of cooperation in deepening the relationship with Christians in China, and the ELCA’s methodology of “accompaniment is how we can relate.” In an April 1 meeting with […]
- Lutheran Disaster Response receives $300,000 grant for New Jersey hurricane relief April 17, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – Lutheran Disaster Response has been awarded a $300,000 grant from the American Red Cross to assist people impacted by Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey. Lutheran Disaster Response is the disaster response ministry of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The grant is an addition […]
- How marriage can still “work” May 1, 2015Even as Supreme Court justices hear the case for gay marriage, others question whether the
- Ex Machina and what it (might) mean to be human April 30, 2015What makes us human? And how is that related to the way we’re made in God’s
- Baltimore and the prevailing of peace April 29, 2015Freddie Gray died the other day. He was not a victim of gang violence. He was not a victim
- Podcasting’s still, small voice April 28, 2015I sing the praise of Ira Glass, Sara Koenig and Jad Abumrad. I tout the triumph of closely
- Can spirituality save our achievement-driven kids? April 27, 2015The capacity to subscribe wholesale to the American dream is often thought to be exclusive