We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Hebrews 10:4-10Annunciation of Our LordFor it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. Consequently, when Christ came into the world, he said, "Sacrifices and offerings you have not desired, but a body you have prepared for me; in burnt offerings and sin offerings you have taken no pleasure. Then I […]
- Psalm 23The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters; he restores my soul. He leads me in right paths for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no evil; for you are with me; your […]
- Ephesians 4:25-32So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbors, for we are members of one another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not make room for the devil. Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labor […]
- Moved by the Spirit in the midst of strife March 23, 2017More than 7 million people in South Sudan need humanitarian assistance as a result of drought and renewed violence. According to UNICEF, famine was recently declared in the north-central part of the country, where 100,000 people are facing imminent starvation. Recently, the #4famines hashtag has been drawing attention to the four countries that are […]
- ELCA’s comprehensive campaign enters fourth year with $113 million raised March 22, 2017CHICAGO – The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) first comprehensive campaign, Always Being Made New: The Campaign for the ELCA, is celebrating the beginning of its fourth year with $113 million in cash gifts and gift commitments, representing 57 percent of the five-year, $198 million goal by Jan. 31, 2019. "We said about […]
- ELCA Conference of Bishops targets developing leaders, congregational growth March 16, 2017ITASCA (March 16, 2017) – The Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) emphasized leadership development and congregational growth when it met here March 2-7. The conference is an advisory body of the ELCA that includes 65 synod bishops, the presiding bishop and secretary. The Rev. William O. Gafkjen, bishop of […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues letter in observance of International Women's Day March 8, 2017CHICAGO (March 8, 2017) – In observance of International Women's Day, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued the following pastoral letter. Dear Friends in Christ,We are called to honor women not only on this day, but also in our daily vocation as church. In […]
- Lutheran-Catholic joint observance of 500th anniversary of the Reformation March 6, 2017 CHICAGO (March 6, 2017) – In the preeminent U.S. observance of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation (Oct. 31, 2017), the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Conference of Bishops' Ecumenical and Inter-Religious Committee and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops' Ecumenical and Interreligious Affairs Committee gathered March 2 at The Lutheran Center […]
- Seeking the Sabbath in Zelda: Breath of the Wild March 23, 2017The Bible begins and ends with play. One of the most fundamental aspects of play is that
- Sanctuary Cities and the Church March 22, 2017The term “sanctuary city” has been popping up in the news a lot lately. While
- Get Out and Galatians 3:28 March 21, 2017Editor's note: This piece originally ran at the Reformed African American Network.
- What TurboTax Teaches Us About Lent March 20, 2017There's something liturgically appropriate about the alignment of Lent and tax season.
- All Rivers, Great and Small March 16, 2017I have lived most of my life in cities bisected by rivers and have often used a quiet spot