We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Tuesday, December 10, 2013 [Isaiah 41:14-20 (NRSV)]Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you insect Israel! I will help you, says the LORD; your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.Now, I will make of you a threshing sledge, sharp, new, and having teeth; you shall thresh the mountains and crush them, and you shall make the hills like chaff.You shall winnow them and the wind shall carry them away, and the tempest shall […]
- New Gbaya Bible editions bring joy July 24, 2012Anne and Willie Langdji are ELCA missionaries in Cameroon. They serve in the areas of health ministries and sustainable development and are also Western Africa regional representatives. To support them, or another of the ELCA’s 225 missionaries, go to www.elca.org/missionarysponsorship. There are around 250 languages spoken in Cameroon. Since their arrival i […]
- Palestinian and US Youth team up at the Wall at the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering July 24, 2012[…]
- Participants at the ELCA Youth Gathering saw walls in Palestine/Israel, respond with letters to congress July 23, 2012Youth at the ELCA Youth Gathering were guided through a section called The Wall, with exhibits from places in the world where there are actual or metaphorical walls between people. There were examples of how God is helping to tear down the walls between people. The Palestinian exhibit had 12-foot walls, information, maps, […]
- The green zone July 21, 2012The Rev. Paula M. Stecker, an ELCA missionary, works with the Lutheran World Federation Haiti office in communications and ecumenical relationships. To support Paula, or another of the ELCA’s nearly 225 missionaries, go to www.elca.org/missionarysponsorship. We are in the midst of “The Month of the Environment” here in Haiti. The minister of the environment […]
- ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson comments on the Palestinian Wall at the ELCA Youth Gathering July 21, 2012ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson toured The Wall section of the ELCA Youth Gathering, and responded about the Palestine section. See more comments on The Wall section here. See more videos and images of the Gathering here. […]
- Why your friends’ marriage is your business December 10, 2013A recent Pew study notes that divorce is contagious. The research team “found that... […]
- Advent All Around: Dennis Rodman, jester of peace? December 8, 2013This is the second installment in Advent All Around, a Think Christian series that sees... […]
- Nelson Mandela and God’s providential purpose December 5, 2013In the fourth grade, I learned multiplication, grammar and how to hide under a desk if... […]
- Top Ten 2013: Video Games December 5, 201310. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs The first Amnesia game, The Dark Descent, is the most... […]
- Holy days and holidays, from Epiphany to Songkran December 4, 2013We measure time by the holidays, don’t we? As soon as Halloween is over, my kids begin... […]