We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Psalm 124If it had not been the LORD who was on our side — let Israel now say — if it had not been the LORD who was on our side, when our enemies attacked us, then they would have swallowed us up alive, when their anger was kindled against us; then the flood would have […]
- Ephesians 4:7-16But each of us was given grace according to the measure of Christ's gift. Therefore it is said, "When he ascended on high he made captivity itself a captive; he gave gifts to his people."(When it says, "He ascended," what does it mean but that he had also descended into the lower parts of the […]
- Romans 5:1-5The Holy TrinityTherefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have obtained access to this grace in which we stand; and we boast in our hope of sharing the glory of God. And not only that, but we also boast in our sufferings, […]
- Lutheran-Episcopal Coordinating Committee meets May 18, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – Members from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), joined their colleagues from The Episcopal Church for a meeting of the Lutheran-Episcopal Coordinating Committee in Marriottsville, Md., May 9-11. The committee is charged with encouraging and assisting efforts between the ELCA and The Episcopal Church as the two denominations live into […]
- Andrew Taylor elected bishop of ELCA Pacifica Synod May 17, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Andrew Taylor, San Diego, was elected May 6 to a six-year term as bishop of the Pacifica Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the Synod Assembly May 5-7 at the Irvine Marriott Hotel in Irvine, Calif. Taylor was elected on the […]
- Erik Gronberg elected bishop of ELCA Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana Mission Area May 11, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Erik Gronberg, Fort Worth, Texas, was elected April 23 to a six-year term as bishop of the Northern Texas-Northern Louisiana Mission Area of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the synod assembly April 22-24 at the Sheraton Arlington Hotel in Arlington, Texas. Gronberg […]
- ELCA presiding bishop joins faith leaders at peace summit May 3, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), joined leaders of Christian churches and church-related organizations from the United States and the Holy Land in Atlanta April 19-20 for "Pursuing Peace and Strengthening Presence: The Atlanta Summit of American and Palestinian Churches." This first-ever gathering […]
- ELCA invites members to consider future priorities and directions April 26, 2016 CHICAGO (ELCA) – In anticipation of the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has introduced "Called Forward Together in Christ," an initiative that invites its 3.7 million members to consider what kind of church God is calling the ELCA to become. Led by ELCA Presiding Bishop […]
- Radiohead and incomprehensible peace May 23, 2016I’ve long been an admirer of Radiohead’s dystopian, postmodern, synthetic
- Let’s not forget about joy (an ode to the Chewbacca Lady) May 23, 2016Late last week I clicked on a video that several friends had shared and found myself belly
- Captain America: Civil War and living in spiritual community May 19, 2016“The idea was to bring together a group of remarkable people, and see if they could
- Hillary Clinton and the sins of the husband May 18, 2016Now that it is safe to assume that Hillary Clinton will be the Democratic nominee for
- Blaming the sin, not the social network May 16, 2016People seem convinced that social media bring out the worst in us. Consider a recent