We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Numbers 11:16-23, 31-32So the LORD said to Moses, "Gather for me seventy of the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them; bring them to the tent of meeting, and have them take their place there with you. I will come down and talk with you there; and […]
- Ephesians 4:1-16Tenth Sunday after PentecostI therefore, the prisoner in the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There […]
- Psalm 78:23-29Yet he commanded the skies above, and opened the doors of heaven; he rained down on them manna to eat, and gave them the grain of heaven. Mortals ate of the bread of angels; he sent them food in abundance. He caused the east wind to blow in the heavens, and by his power he […]
- ELCA, Moravian Church observe 15th anniversary of full communion agreement July 31, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – This year marks the 15th anniversary of the full communion agreement between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and the Moravian Church in America. The agreement was adopted by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in 1999 and subsequently by the Northern and Southern Provinces of the Moravian Church in America the […]
- ELCA presiding bishop to hold live webcast on confronting racism July 23, 2015CHICAGO (ELCA) – In an effort to continue understanding the complexity and implications of racism, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), invites the 3.8 million member church to participate in a live webcast Aug. 6 at 8 p.m. (CDT). William B. Horne II, a member […]
- ELCA youth rise up to help residents of Detroit July 22, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Participants of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Youth Gathering held in Detroit July 15-19 responded to the event’s theme “Rise Up Together” by taking part in neighborhood service projects throughout the Detroit metro area. The projects included helping clean up neighborhoods and boarding up abandoned houses, creating community gardens, […]
- ELCA members describe life-changing Youth Gathering July 18, 2015 DETROIT (ELCA) – Life-changing, amazing, unimaginable, and impactful are some of the words members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) used to describe their experience during the ELCA Youth Gathering meeting here July 15-19. “I’ve been looking forward to this week since the last day of the 2012 Youth Gathering in New […]
- ELCA members to meet in Atlanta for Worship Jubilee July 16, 2015 CHICAGO (ELCA) – Gathering under the theme “Called to be a Living Voice,” members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will meet in Atlanta July 19-23 for the ELCA Worship Jubilee and the biennial conference of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians. “One of the gifts of this event is it offers […]
- Mourning Mark Zuckerberg’s miscarriages in the shadow of Planned Parenthood August 2, 2015Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced on Facebook (of course) the good news that he
- Finding forgiveness in BoJack Horseman July 30, 2015The first season of Netflix’s BoJack Horseman ended on a dark note, raising
- The human complexity of Her Story July 29, 2015A Christian view of people requires a willingness to be surprised by them. Her Story, a
- Does Donald Trump need to repent? July 28, 2015Donald Trump has certainly added spice to the politics-as-usual flavor of the presidential
- Instead of Facebook, a book of faces July 28, 2015A book of photographs titled Face elicits obvious comparisons to the social media giant.