We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Proverbs 3:27-35Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it. Do not say to your neighbor, "Go, and come again, tomorrow I will give it" — when you have it with you. Do not plan harm against your neighbor who lives trustingly beside you. Do […]
- Psalm 119-:57-64The LORD is my portion; I promise to keep your words. I implore your favor with all my heart; be gracious to me according to your promise. When I think of your ways, I turn my feet to your decrees; I hurry and do not delay to keep your commandments. Though the cords of the […]
- Proverbs 25:11-22A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in a setting of silver. Like a gold ring or an ornament of gold is a wise rebuke to a listening ear. Like the cold of snow in the time of harvest are faithful messengers to those who send them; they refresh the spirit of their […]
- ELCA presiding bishop addresses President Trump’s refugee executive order January 30, 2017CHICAGO (Jan. 30, 2017) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued a pastoral message addressing President Trump's executive order to restrict entry by refugees and visitors into the United States from seven predominately Muslim countries. Eaton's message follows. January 30, 2017Blessed are the merciful, for […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues message in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day January 13, 2017CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued the following pastoral message in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day.January 2017"Which of these three, do you think, was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of the robbers?" He […]
- ELCA leaders to participate in Martin Luther King Jr. Day events January 13, 2017CHICAGO (ELCA) – In observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, leaders from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) will participate in nationwide commemoration activities Jan. 14-15. "As we celebrate the legacy of Dr. King on his date of birth, it is my hope that we find ourselves stirred and challenged to fully embrace […]
- ELCA presiding bishop delivers her Christmas message December 9, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), delivers her Christmas message. - - -About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: The ELCA is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with more than 3.7 million members in more than 9,300 congregations across the 50 states […]
- ELCA presiding bishop and Episcopal Church presiding bishop World AIDS Day statement December 1, 2016CHICAGO - The Rev. Elizabeth Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and the Most Rev. Michael B. Curry, presiding bishop and primate of the Episcopal Church, have issued the following joint statement on 2016 World AIDS Day.World AIDS Day StatementDecember 1: As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus, […]
- The Suffocating Sadness of Manchester by the Sea February 22, 2017Editor’s note: This is part of a series on the 2017 Best Picture nominees. All of
- Self-care as a Spiritual Discipline February 21, 2017“Self-care” is a popular term that can be found everywhere these days, from
- Lion: A Love That Knows No Borders February 20, 2017Editor’s note: This is part of a series on the 2017 Best Picture nominees. All of
- The General Revelation of La La Land February 16, 2017Editor’s note: This is part of a series on the 2017 Best Picture nominees. All of
- Bible Study with Sufjan Stevens February 16, 2017Sufjan Stevens is on a tear. The mysterious, press-shy, and often obtuse indie-music