We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Matthew 19:16-22Then someone came to him and said, "Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?" And he said to him, "Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments." He said to him, "Which ones?" […]
- Psalm 62For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall never be shaken. How long will you assail a person, will you batter your victim, all of you, as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence? Their only plan […]
- Revelation 3:14-22And to the angel of the church in Laodicea write: The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the origin of God's creation:I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot. I wish that you were either cold or hot. So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am […]
- Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities issues statement condemning hate threats September 21, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The board of directors of the Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities has issued a statement condemning hate threats made against Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kan., and its president, William Jones. Earlier this month, racist messages written in chalk were discovered on the Bethany campus. Following the incident, Jones received threatening phone […]
- ELCA endorses presidential debates standards September 20, 2016CHICAGO – The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has joined faith-based groups and other organizations in endorsing standards of conduct for the upcoming U.S. presidential debates. The standards are proposed by the National Institute for Civil Discourse.The institute created standards for the presidential candidates, audience members and moderators. The standards for the candidates expect […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues statement in observance of 15th anniversary of 9/11 September 9, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued a statement in observance of the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.September 11, 2016Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues statement addressing Dakota Access Pipeline September 9, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has released a statement addressing the situation surrounding the Dakota Access Pipeline. On Sept. 9 a federal judge ruled against the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's request to halt construction of the pipeline. Three federal agencies have issued a […]
- ELCA Churchwide Assembly addresses human rights concerns in Israel and Palestine September 8, 2016CHICAGO (Sept. 8, 2016) – Voting members of the 2016 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly in New Orleans Aug. 8-13 approved two memorials that address concerns over human rights in Israel and Palestine. The assembly also affirmed the ELCA's inter-religious partnerships and efforts to address anti-Semitism, Islamophobia and other forms of […]
- Special Revelation, General Revelation, and Chronicle’s Library of Luminaries September 28, 2016I’ve been an admirer of Coco Chanel’s ambition, designs, and other aspects of
- State of the Church 2016: Celebrating the ‘Small but Mighty’ September 27, 2016Earlier this month, Barna Group released findings from its State of the Church 2016 study.
- Pottermore Quizzes and Personal Identity September 26, 2016In between distressing news reports and conflicting political opinions, my social media
- Is Apple Designing Your Future? September 22, 2016On the eve of Apple’s rollout of the iPhone 7, in which the earphone port has been
- Blair Witch, Snowden and What it Means to be Seen September 22, 2016I happened to catch two movies on the same day that seemingly had nothing in common: Blair