We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Psalm 141John the BaptistI call upon you, O LORD; come quickly to me; give ear to my voice when I call to you. Let my prayer be counted as incense before you, and the lifting up of my hands as an evening sacrifice. Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD; keep watch over the door […]
- Leviticus 9:22—10:11Aaron lifted his hands toward the people and blessed them; and he came down after sacrificing the sin offering, the burnt offering, and the offering of well-being. Moses and Aaron entered the tent of meeting, and then came out and blessed the people; and the glory of the LORD appeared to all the people. Fire […]
- Luke 9:37-43aOn the next day, when they had come down from the mountain, a great crowd met him. Just then a man from the crowd shouted, "Teacher, I beg you to look at my son; he is my only child. Suddenly a spirit seizes him, and all at once he shrieks. It convulses him until he […]
- Barbara Collins elected bishop of Upper Susquehanna Synod June 23, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Barbara Jeanne Collins, Selinsgrove, Pa., was elected June 18 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Upper Susquehanna Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the Synod Assembly June 17-18 at Weber Chapel at Susquehanna University in Selinsgrove. Collins was elected […]
- Jeffrey Clements elected bishop of Northern Illinois Synod June 22, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. H. Jeffrey Clements, Rockford, was elected June 18 to serve a six-year term as bishop of the Northern Illinois Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the Synod Assembly June 16-18 at Centennial Hall at Augustana College in Rock Island, Ill. Clements was elected […]
- Paul Erickson elected bishop of ELCA Greater Milwaukee Synod June 14, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Paul D. Erickson, West St. Paul, Minn., was elected June 4 to a six-year term as bishop of the Greater Milwaukee Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the synod assembly June 2-4 at the Tarble Arena at Carthage College in Kenosha, […]
- William Gafkjen re-elected bishop of ELCA Indiana-Kentucky Synod June 14, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. William O. Gafkjen, Indianapolis, was re-elected June 9 to serve a second six-year term as bishop of the Indiana-Kentucky Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). The election was held during the synod assembly June 9-11 at the Century Center in South Bend, Ind. Gafkjen was re-elected on […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues letter in response to Orlando shooting June 13, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued a letter in response to the June 12 shooting that claimed the lives of 49 people at a nightclub in Orlando, Fla. This is the deadliest mass shooting in U. S. history. In the […]
- Why I returned to Game of Thrones June 23, 2016So this is awkward. A few years ago I declared here at Think Christian that I was giving
- When the nightclub is a sanctuary June 22, 2016It has been a difficult 11 days. Many in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer
- We want to be Beauty, but we’re the Beast June 22, 2016On a sunny Monday morning last month, you, like me, may have wakened to all of the social
- Should we fake the Star of Bethlehem? June 21, 2016Many Advents ago, a colleague and I spent hours stringing hundreds of origami paper stars
- In lieu of “in lieu of flowers” June 20, 2016The extensive media coverage of the recent funeral of boxing legend Muhammad Ali got me