We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- John 1:19-28This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, "Who are you?" He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, "I am not the Messiah." And they asked him, "What then? Are you Elijah?" He said, "I am not." "Are you the prophet?" He […]
- Psalm 72:1-7, 18-19Give the king your justice, O God, and your righteousness to a king's son. May he judge your people with righteousness, and your poor with justice. May the mountains yield prosperity for the people, and the hills, in righteousness. May he defend the cause of the poor of the people, give deliverance to the needy, […]
- Acts 1:12-17, 21-26Then they returned to Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is near Jerusalem, a sabbath day's journey away. When they had entered the city, they went to the room upstairs where they were staying, Peter, and John, and James, and Andrew, Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew, James son of Alphaeus, and Simon the […]
- ELCA presiding bishop and Episcopal Church presiding bishop World AIDS Day statement December 1, 2016CHICAGO - The Rev. Elizabeth Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and the Most Rev. Michael B. Curry, presiding bishop and primate of the Episcopal Church, have issued the following joint statement on 2016 World AIDS Day.World AIDS Day StatementDecember 1: As we prepare to celebrate the birth of Jesus, […]
- ELCA presiding bishop urges Obama to support Palestinian U.N. membership November 30, 2016CHICAGO – In a letter to President Barack Obama, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), asked the president to allow Palestine's application for full membership in the United Nations to move forward before he leaves office in January. "I write to you as a Christian […]
- ELCA Church Council approves strategic directions plan November 21, 2016CHICAGO – The Church Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) took action that will help determine the future directions and priorities of this church when it met here Nov. 10-13. The council, which serves as the ELCA's board of directors, adopted Called Forward Together in Christ – ELCA Strategic Directions […]
- Rare 9th century manuscript of New Testament returned to Greek Orthodox Church November 16, 2016CHICAGO (Nov. 16, 2016) – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), participated in a ceremony Nov. 15 at the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago (LSTC) at which the seminary returned a rare 9th century Greek manuscript of the complete New Testament to the Greek […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues statement on Standing Rock November 14, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued the following statement on Standing Rock. Statement from ELCA Presiding Bishop Eaton on Standing RockWhen we come together for worship, we often begin with confession and forgiveness using these words: "We confess that we are captive […]
- Being a Disciple of Christ in Post-election America December 1, 2016Writing about political discipleship for Capital Commentary in June, I described
- Eve and the ESV November 29, 2016Last month, my 97-year-old grandfather died. He was a missionary who devoted his life to
- Black Mirror’s Christian Suspicion of Technology November 28, 2016Despite society’s near-universal embrace of personal technology, a 2014 Pew Research
- Hillary Clinton and the Color of Advent November 28, 2016Hillary Clinton’s concession speech was a breath of fresh air in an otherwise
- Moana and Living Water November 23, 2016Moana, Disney’s big new animated musical, draws on Polynesian mythology as its