We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Revelation 3:7-13And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write: These are the words of the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens: I know your works. Look, I have set before you an open door, which no […]
- Hebrews 3:7—4:11Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, "Today, if you hear his voice,do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, as on the day of testing in the wilderness, where your ancestors put me to the test, though they had seen my works for forty years. Therefore I was angry with that generation, and I […]
- Isaiah 58:9b-14Fourteenth Sunday after PentecostThenyou shall call, and the LORD will answer;you shall cry for help, and he will say, Here I am.If you remove the yoke from among you,the pointing of the finger, the speaking of evil,if you offer your food to the hungryand satisfy the needs of the afflicted,then your light shall rise in […]
- ELCA Churchwide Assembly key actions August 16, 2016CHICAGO – Voting members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) approved a number of key actions during the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly held in New Orleans Aug. 8-13. The assembly is the highest legislative authority of the church. The 945 voting members:Elected William B. Horne II of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Clearwater, Fla., […]
- ELCA elects vice president August 12, 2016NEW ORLEANS – William B. Horne II of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Clearwater, Fla., was elected vice president of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) by the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly. Horne was elected on the fourth ballot with 565 votes to 175 votes for Cheryl G. Stuart of St. Stephen Lutheran Church, […]
- ELCA presiding bishop reflects on work of the church and looks to future priorities August 12, 2016NEW ORLEANS – In her report to the 2016 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly, ELCA Presiding Bishop Elizabeth A. Eaton reflected on the ELCA's work over the past three years and lifted up future priorities for the church. Eaton said much of her focus the past three years has been on […]
- ELCA approves Word and Service roster August 12, 2016NEW ORLEANS (Aug.12, 2016) –The 2016 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly, by a vote of 811 to 55, approved adoption of the roster of Ministry of Word and Service. Beginning Jan. 1, 2017, associates in ministry, deaconesses of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and diaconal ministers will be a single, […]
- ELCA approves Lutheran-Catholic ecumenical document August 10, 2016NEW ORLEANS (Aug.10, 2016) – The 2016 Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) Churchwide Assembly took several significant steps Wednesday moving forward the mission of this church as a church for the sake of the world. By a vote of 931 to 9, the assembly overwhelmingly accepted the "Declaration on the Way," a […]
- No Man’s Sky and the Angst of an Endless Universe August 23, 2016No Man’s Sky is arguably the largest game world ever created. Sean Murray, the lead
- Voting for God’s Kingdom August 22, 2016How might one vote in a way that places God’s kingdom above all? This
- Why Can’t Bad Moms Make Room For Any Good Dads? August 18, 2016Bad Moms has been playing to throngs of moms enjoying a girls’ night out. Moviegoing
- The Individualist Leanings of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child August 17, 2016I’m going to come right out and say it: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child lacks the
- Seeing Ourselves in the Refugee Olympic Team August 16, 2016Despite the Olympics’ long history, there are always a number of