We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Daniel 5:13-31Then Daniel was brought in before the king. The king said to Daniel, "So you are Daniel, one of the exiles of Judah, whom my father the king brought from Judah? I have heard of you that a spirit of the gods is in you, and that enlightenment, understanding, and excellent wisdom are found in […]
- Daniel 5:1-12King Belshazzar made a great festival for a thousand of his lords, and he was drinking wine in the presence of the thousand.Under the influence of the wine, Belshazzar commanded that they bring in the vessels of gold and silver that his father Nebuchadnezzar had taken out of the temple in Jerusalem, so that the […]
- 1 Samuel 2:1-10Hannah prayed and said, "My heart exults in the LORD; my strength is exalted in my God. My mouth derides my enemies, because I rejoice in my victory." "There is no Holy One like the LORD, no one besides you; there is no Rock like our God." Talk no more so very proudly, let not […]
- ELCA Conference of Bishops approves redesign of first-call process October 14, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) approved the redesign of the first-call process and continued discerning the church's future priorities in a process known as "Called Forward Together in Christ" when it met here Sept. 27 – Oct. 4. The conference, an advisory body of […]
- Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities issues statement condemning hate threats September 21, 2016CHICAGO (ELCA) – The board of directors of the Network of ELCA Colleges and Universities has issued a statement condemning hate threats made against Bethany College in Lindsborg, Kan., and its president, William Jones. Earlier this month, racist messages written in chalk were discovered on the Bethany campus. Following the incident, Jones received threatening phone […]
- ELCA endorses presidential debates standards September 20, 2016CHICAGO – The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) has joined faith-based groups and other organizations in endorsing standards of conduct for the upcoming U.S. presidential debates. The standards are proposed by the National Institute for Civil Discourse.The institute created standards for the presidential candidates, audience members and moderators. The standards for the candidates expect […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues statement addressing Dakota Access Pipeline September 9, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has released a statement addressing the situation surrounding the Dakota Access Pipeline. On Sept. 9 a federal judge ruled against the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe's request to halt construction of the pipeline. Three federal agencies have issued a […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues statement in observance of 15th anniversary of 9/11 September 9, 2016CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued a statement in observance of the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States.September 11, 2016Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help […]
- Why Loving Our Neighbors Includes Voting Down Ballot October 26, 2016I will cast a vote this year for a public office that deals with a host of pressing public
- Meet Evan McMullin, the Candidate of Choice for Frustrated Christians October 24, 2016Earlier in October, with only a month left until the American presidential election, a
- Does The Good Place Have Room for Grace? October 20, 2016Whatever the afterlife turns out to look like, The Good Place suggests there will probably
- Seeking Justice in Light of Ava DuVernay’s 13th October 20, 2016Most of us know that slavery was abolished in 1865 by the 13th Amendment. What we might
- What We’ll Lose with the Closing of Books & Culture October 18, 2016As a student at Westmont College, I would wait for professors in the small common area in