We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Judges 6:36-40Then Gideon said to God, "In order to see whether you will deliver Israel by my hand, as you have said, I am going to lay a fleece of wool on the threshing floor; if there is dew on the fleece alone, and it is dry on all the ground, then I shall know that […]
- 1 Peter 1:3-9Second Sunday of EasterBlessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are […]
- John 20:11-20But Mary stood weeping outside the tomb. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb; and she saw two angels in white, sitting where the body of Jesus had been lying, one at the head and the other at the feet. They said to her, "Woman, why are you weeping?" She said […]
- ELCA presiding bishop delivers Easter message April 12, 2017CHICAGO (April 12, 2017) – In her Easter message, the Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), reminds us to rejoice even when the brokenness of this world breaks our spirits. Listen to Eaton's message. - - -About the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: The ELCA is one of […]
- ELCA Church Council holds spring 2017 meeting April 11, 2017ITASCA - The Church Council of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) met at the Eaglewood Conference Center, Itasca, Ill., March 30-April 2. The council, which serves as the ELCA's board of directors, met in plenary on Friday, March 31, and spent the remainder of its time in retreat, focused on the Called Forward […]
- ELCA presiding bishop issues pastoral message on Syria April 8, 2017CHICAGO – The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton, presiding bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), has issued a pastoral message on Syria.Eaton's message follows.Dear Sisters and Brothers in Christ,Like many of you, I have been deeply troubled by the news this week from Syria. First, there was the horrific chemical weapons attack […]
- Moved by the Spirit in the midst of strife March 23, 2017More than 7 million people in South Sudan need humanitarian assistance as a result of drought and renewed violence. According to UNICEF, famine was recently declared in the north-central part of the country, where 100,000 people are facing imminent starvation. Recently, the #4famines hashtag has been drawing attention to the four countries that are […]
- ELCA’s comprehensive campaign enters fourth year with $113 million raised March 22, 2017CHICAGO – The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's (ELCA) first comprehensive campaign, Always Being Made New: The Campaign for the ELCA, is celebrating the beginning of its fourth year with $113 million in cash gifts and gift commitments, representing 57 percent of the five-year, $198 million goal by Jan. 31, 2019. "We said about […]
- Let’s Not Throw “She” and “He” Out With the Grammatical Bathwater April 24, 2017The fact that the English language has no neutral singular personal pronoun has long vexed
- Being Human: A Stunt Documentary That Reminds Us We’re All Needy April 19, 2017When Tim Owens lost his lucrative, director-level job with a major media company, he did
- What Transhumanism Misunderstands About Being Human April 19, 2017Talk of cyborgs isn’t only for fans of science fiction anymore. A recent National
- Fargo: Seeking Harmony in the Face of Discord April 18, 2017Fargo, the FX anthology series inspired by the 1996 Coen brothers’ movie of the same
- What About The Bonhoeffer Option? April 17, 2017Last autumn, in the midst of the tumultuous American election season, I began reading and