We’re revising Zion’s Constitution to better represent the needs of our Congregation while keeping in line with the requirements established by ELCA. The first reading of the Constitutional and By-Laws changes to Zion’s Constitution will be presented at a special meeting at 12:30pm on February 10, 2013 at Zion Lutheran Church. The Constitutional Committee members have approved the draft and it has been reviewed by Zion’s council. It is hoped that the constitution will be ratified by our congregation at the annual meeting, scheduled for February 24, 2013 directly after services. Download a copy of The Zion Constitution- Revised Complete.
Congratulations to Barbara Lucas on her election as President of Zion’s Church Council, and also to the rest of the church council for their dedication and service.
Your 2012 Zion Lutheran Church Council
|Rev. Janet Blair||Vice Pastor|
|Leah Ann Spinelli||Member|
RESPONSIBILITIES OF CONGREGATION COUNCIL MEMBERS
The Congregation Council shall have general oversight of the life and activities of this congregation, and in particular its worship life, to the end that everything be done in accordance with the Word of God and the faith and practice of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. The duties of the Congregation Council shall include the following:
- To lead this congregation in stating its mission, to do long-range planning, to set goals and priorities, and to evaluate its activities in light of its mission and goals.
- To seek to involve all members of this congregation in worship, learning, witness, service, and support.
- To oversee and provide for the administration of this congregation to enable it to fulfill its functions and perform its mission.
- To maintain supportive relationships with the pastor(s) and staff and help them annually to evaluate the fulfillment of their calling or employment.
- To be examples individually and corporately of the style of life and ministry expected of all baptized persons.
- To promote a congregational climate of peace and goodwill, and, as differences and conflicts arise, to endeavor to foster mutual understanding.
- To arrange for pastoral service during the sickness or absence of the pastor.
- To emphasize partnership with the synod and churchwide organization of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America as well as cooperation with other congregations, both Lutheran and non-Lutheran, subject to established policies of the synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To recommend and encourage the use of program resources produced or approved by the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- To seek out and encourage qualified persons to prepare for the ministry of the Gospel.
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014 [Psalm 32 (NRSV)]Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.Happy are those to whom the LORD imputes no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit.While I kept silence, my body wasted away through my groaning all day long.For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.SelahThen I acknowledged […]
- New Gbaya Bible editions bring joy July 24, 2012Anne and Willie Langdji are ELCA missionaries in Cameroon. They serve in the areas of health ministries and sustainable development and are also Western Africa regional representatives. To support them, or another of the ELCA’s 225 missionaries, go to www.elca.org/missionarysponsorship. There are around 250 languages spoken in Cameroon. Since their arrival i […]
- Palestinian and US Youth team up at the Wall at the 2012 ELCA Youth Gathering July 23, 2012
- Participants at the ELCA Youth Gathering saw walls in Palestine/Israel, respond with letters to congress July 23, 2012Youth at the ELCA Youth Gathering were guided through a section called The Wall, with exhibits from places in the world where there are actual or metaphorical walls between people. There were examples of how God is helping to tear down the walls between people. The Palestinian exhibit had 12-foot walls, information, maps, […]
- The green zone July 21, 2012The Rev. Paula M. Stecker, an ELCA missionary, works with the Lutheran World Federation Haiti office in communications and ecumenical relationships. To support Paula, or another of the ELCA’s nearly 225 missionaries, go to www.elca.org/missionarysponsorship. We are in the midst of “The Month of the Environment” here in Haiti. The minister of the environment […]
- ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson comments on the Palestinian Wall at the ELCA Youth Gathering July 20, 2012ELCA Presiding Bishop Mark S. Hanson toured The Wall section of the ELCA Youth Gathering, and responded about the Palestine section. See more comments on The Wall section here. See more videos and images of the Gathering here.
- Stephen Colbert’s church marketing tips March 11, 2014Churches have tried Trunk or Treat events, Vacation Bible School programs and all other...
- How the Cosmos reboot allows for religion March 10, 2014The original Cosmos television series is widely regarded as one of the most significant...
- Interpreting as a restorative act March 9, 2014It has been a bad few months for interpreters. First, there was the “fake interpreter” at...
- True Detective and the true abyss March 7, 2014"It's important for us to confront the potential of the true abyss." - Nic Pizzolatto,... […]
- TC at the Festival of Faith and Writing March 6, 2014Perusing photos from last year’s Festival of Faith and Writing on the event’s Facebook...